Exercise Details for Hack Squat
Why Should You do Hack Lift?
Hack lift or Hack Squat is a form of fixed squats where you get so much stability from the machine that the exercise only focuses on your legs. It is mainly the quads that will work during this exercise, and even if you can lift really heavy, it is the depth of the movement that gives you the best training results.
Select a suitable weight. As I said, it is more important to get far down in motion than how heavy you lift.
Stand in the machine with your shoulders against the supports. Press your back against the backrest during the entire movement. Put your feet about shoulder-width apart and angle them slightly outwards. It would help if you had your body weight in the middle of your foot throughout the movement. If you have to get up on your toes, mainly in the bottom position, you should raise where you put your feet. Same thing if you have to bend your lower back in the bottom position, then your feet are too high up, and you should lower them.
Look straight ahead or obliquely upwards and go down by bending your legs in a controlled motion. Your knees should not be bent inwards but should be bent outwards in the same direction as your feet point. Bend your legs at least so that there is less than a 90-degree angle in the knee joint, preferably even more. Ass to the grass. Make sure that the entire sole is in the plate during the movement. Do not get on your toes. Also, do not bend the back end but have a neutral back at all times. When you have come as far down as you can without bending your back or going up on your toes, you are in the bottom position. The knee angle should be less than 90 degrees.
Now reverse the movement by pushing up the weight by straightening your knees. Do not bend your back, but constantly press it against the backrest.
You mustn’t stretch your legs fully in the top position. This is because it puts a lot of pressure on your knees, and you can easily be injured. Therefore, stop just before fully extended legs.
Perform the movement slowly on the way down and a little faster on the way up. However, you should still have full control of the movement even on the way up.
Tips for Hack Squat
- Go deep in this movement
- Shoulder width apart with your feet and angle them slightly outwards
- The body weight should be on the whole foot during the movement, do not go up on the toe
- Do not bend your knees inwards, but bend them in line with your feet
- Tighten your torso and keep your entire upper body in a straight and stable position.
- The rear should always be pressed against the backrest and you should not bend your rear when you get far down in the exercise
- Perform the exercise in a slow and controlled manner, always with tension in the muscle you are exercising
- Make sure that you do not “lock” your knees in the top position, keep your legs a little bent